Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My very First Hand Spun Yarn

What an awesome Christmas gift! 15lb of merino fleece, some prepared to spin roving and spinning supplies.Super excited!!!



...so I started to spin my my very First Yarn...
Fine black Shetland combed top/roving was easy to start with, thank you "Little Red Mitten" for all support and guiding to chose right materials and drop spindle! This what I spun from black Shetland top roving:

I love bright colors and my second choice was this beautiful purple merino tops...

It was a little more difficult to spin merino wool than Shetland and not easy to be consistent when drafting. But I like this "Thin and Thick" yarn style, it makes yarn unique, turning it into a piece of art...  I fell in love with merino fibers from the first touch... It is absolutely soft - like a cloud, never wanted to stop spinning...
 Last night I was plying my yarn until 3 AM :)) It is still wet and hanging down to dry... Just took picture of it and cant wait to knit something from my Very first Hand spun yarn :)

15 comments:

  1. So cool! Looks like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowee!! What an amazing endeavour and a great gift :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I had no idea one could actually create yart at home. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first, way to go! My mother used to do it when I was younger but she is not doing it anymore. Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ira, I am totally blown away! I had no idea this you can create such things! It is a wonderful gift to get and you did a wonderful work with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! With this amount of fiber you really need to start thinking about upgrading to a spinnig wheel :) You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really cool! Can't wait to see what you create with your handspun yarn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift. You did such a good job. I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.